While everyone is squawking about Octomom, this new story from Florida about Haliegh Cummings, a missing 5 year old girl from Putnam County Florida, really does not sit right with me at all. From what I have seen on the news:
- Mom and Dad are unwed and Dad wins custody of two kids
- Both parents are in their mid-20s
- Mom lives about 2 hours away and see her children every two weeks
- Dad has known his 17 year old girlfriend for 3 to 4 months and she is living with him and his children
- He works as a crane operator and gets home from work at 330am
- The daughter was sleeping in the same bed as the 17 year old <strike>babysitter</strike> girlfriend and goes missing
- When the girlfriend wakes up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it is unknown if the child was missing <em>before</em> she went to the bathroom, or <em>after</em> she returned
- The police will not comment on a lie detector test, but the testees says they passed
- The mother of the girl and her mother seem to have an ax to grind with the father
Other tidbits are that there are 44 registered sexual offenders within a mile of their home. I mean really now, a 17 year old girlfriend? Moving her in after three months? Choose you MSN emoticons and sen to your friends. And this parent was the best choice? There is something VERY strange about this whole thing and it seems like it will not turn out well in the end. I am not sure who I am more suspicious of, the Mom or the Dad!
What are your thoughts?