Amy Chua, has been a name in the news for a few weeks now. She is the New Haven, CT mother with a Chinese heritage that rules her roost with an iron fist. She first appeared on the scene in a January 8 Essay in the Wall Street Journal entitled Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (you really need to read it).
Among the things that her two daughters have not been allowed to do are:
- attend a sleepover
- have a playdate
- be in a school play
- complain about not being in a school play
- watch TV or play computer games
- choose their own extracurricular activities
- get any grade less than an A
- not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama
- play any instrument other than the piano or violin
- not play the piano or violin
Her essay so far has sparked nearly 10,000 comments. What do you think?
Are you ready to buy her book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother? I may just to take a peek.